How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 40989
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am divorce and my ex has remarried. I am living in the house

Customer Question

I am divorce and my ex has remarried. I am living in the house we bought together but he never lived in or paid mortgage. He married soon after the divorce was final. Our son lives with me in the home and he will graduate from high school next year. I am considering selling the house but in the decree it states he is to receive a sum of money at the time of closing. My question is: what if I don't sell the house for a while, get married myself and I sign the house over to my new husband or put the title in his name. Would he be able to sell the house without having to pay money to my ex? Is there a way around not having to pay my ex anything? or will that always be hanging over my head until I sell the house even if I keep it until I die? After what he has done to me and my son, as much as I want out, I would rather die here than give him more money.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your question. You would have to review the decree. most decrees stipulate that when the child turns of age you have to sell or buy out interest. If yours doesn't say that then you keep as long as you want. If it says that only when you sell here that you give him a certain amount then as long as you own no need to pay anything.

If you try to sell and not pay he could probably file for contempt. But you really need to have a lawyer look at the decree as you may well have other options here to avoid paying him. The lawyer can then advise you of these ways to avoid paying the ex here

. Anything that can be legal and avoid paying would be perfectly acceptable. It would be worth an hour for a lawyer to review the decree here and tell you ways to remedy your problem and allow for sale. I think this can be accomplished then. I wish you good luck here.

Possible lawyer referral..

Tulsa County Bar Association
Lawyer Referral Service
1446 S. Boston, Tulsa, OK 74119

"$25 fee includes referral and 30-minute initial consultation. Go to the Tulsa County Bar Center, 1446 South Boston, Tulsa, Monday through Thursday, 9 - 11 a.m. and 2 - 4 p.m. No appointment necessary. A convenient appointment with a lawyer who practices in the area of the law that concerns you will be arranged. The first visit will allow you to ask questions about your problem, receive legal advice and arrange for further legal work if necessary. You are under no obligation to hire the lawyer, and the lawyer may inform you that you don't need a lawyer."

Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

Related Family Law Questions