How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask A.D. Barnett Your Own Question
A.D. Barnett
A.D. Barnett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 414
Experience:  Attorney since 1994, experienced Divorce Attorney, Child's Attorney, Adoption, Guardian ad Litem
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
A.D. Barnett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a non-custodial parent. I want to take my son to a wedding

Resolved Question:

I am a non-custodial parent. I want to take my son to a wedding in September. To do this my son would need to miss a day of school. My ex-wife refuses to let him miss a day of school. What are my legal options?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  A.D. Barnett replied 8 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm afraid that as things are, this would be mom's call. If she is entitled to custody of him on that particular day, nothing short of intervention is going to change things. Unless there is something in your decree that provides for you to have visitation for your family functions, that's where things will lie.

If there is a parenting co-ordinator to whom you can appeal, take advantage of that option.

I'm sorry the news isn't better. Sadly, the grief doesn't end between parties with the issuance of a decree.

Your still have time to pursue her consent. Approach her from the standpoint that you are *asking*, not demanding, and hope that the voice of reason prevails. If you consistently run into disagreements regarding visitation, you may want to speak with your attorney as to whether a Motion to Modify your decree might be appropriate.

Best of luck! If I helped, please click "accept." Thanks!
A.D. Barnett and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you