How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask A.D. Barnett Your Own Question
A.D. Barnett
A.D. Barnett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 414
Experience:  Attorney since 1994, experienced Divorce Attorney, Child's Attorney, Adoption, Guardian ad Litem
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
A.D. Barnett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

do i have a right to tax money being we are still married and

Resolved Question:

do i have a right to tax money being we are still married and he filed as married?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  A.D. Barnett replied 8 years ago.
Good morning,

Any tax refund you get is an asset that was obtained partially because your hubby requested he get the tax break of filing as married. If he filed as single, he probably would have had less of a refund, so he is getting a benefit of marriage. Since you are one-half of that marriage, I don't see why you wouldn't be entitled to your share of that asset.

Best of luck! If I helped, please click "accept." Thanks!
A.D. Barnett and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you