How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask A.D. Barnett Your Own Question
A.D. Barnett
A.D. Barnett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 414
Experience:  Attorney since 1994, experienced Divorce Attorney, Child's Attorney, Adoption, Guardian ad Litem
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
A.D. Barnett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I havent communicated for a while. He is a

Customer Question

My husband and I haven't communicated for a while. He is a truck driver and is local so he can come home daily but does not come in a week or two. He also hasn't provided any income for the house or our teenage son. I asked for money to get groceries and he said he wasn't giving me a cent. He has worked for years for us and no he is working for him and keeping all his money. So with my job we are struggling to get by. He also mentioned he had open a savings account on his own. When he is home he only argues and it is mostly verbal abuse and this happens in front of my son. I have asked him to leave the house but he says I can't kick him out and I will need the police to come because he will make a scene at home and at my job. He also says I can't divorce him because a judge won't grant me a divorce just because I want it. A few years ago and again last year we found out he would talk to a woman that I believe is now the mistress. What can I do? I don't think my son or I can take this?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  A.D. Barnett replied 8 years ago.
Good morning,

I know it is difficult, but you have to overcome your fear and consult a local family law attorney. This is for your sake as well as your son's. I would go one step further and suggest you contact your local domestic violence services to get some help in that area as well.

A divorce can be granted over the objection of the other party in Wisconsin. Wisconsin, as one of many "no fault" divorce states, allows for a divorce to be granted when the marriage has broken down and there is no fixing it. Based on what you are describing, I would say it would be well worth your while to pursue this. Once a petition is filed, your attorney can ask for a Temporary Order removing him from the marital home. And, if he tries to harass you, your attorney can help you get a restraining order.

I am so sorry you have to go through this, but how will this get any better if you don't take steps to help yourself out of this situation?

Best of luck! Go see an attorney first thing Monday!

If I helped, please click "accept." Thanks!