LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

Im an E-5 in the U.S. Navy and I currently pay $800 a month

I'm an E-5 in the U.S. Navy and I currently pay $800 a month in child support. My children reside in Dothan, Alabama and my ex stated she's talked to her lawyer for an increase. What am I obligated to pay?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 years ago.
Good morning,

The specific amount you will be obligated to pay can not be determined without specific information from both you and your ex. However, like most states Alabama assesses approximately 15-20% of your after tax income for one child and about 25% for two children.

Alabama child support guidelines are based on the Income Shares Model for calculating child support. The monthly support amount determined by applying the guidelines is divided proportionally according to each parent¹s income. These two support amounts are then offset to establish which parent will pay the other parent for support of the child. All income is typically verified by examining past W-2's and child support worksheets are available at the courthouse.

When the parties cannot agree, the court will apply the state support guidelines which are presumed to be correct unless the court feels a deviation form the amount is appropriate. The court will deviate from the guidelines if the parties agree to do so or it believes it is necessary in order to establish an order that is in the best interests of the children. The parents are required to file an income and expense affidavit along with w-2's to verify income. (Code of Alabama - Title 30 - Chapters: 3-1)

Here is a link to a web site which has a support calculator for Alabama which you can use to see the same calculation that the court will see in determining whether to make an upward, or downward, adjustment in support: http://www.alllaw.com/calculators/childsupport/alabama/

I wish you well.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,

Doug