How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son pays support for our grandson. We recently found out

Resolved Question:

My son pays support for our grandson. We recently found out that our grandson has been living with his girlfriends family for two years. He was due to go into the marines soon, so wedid nothing about it. .He went in but was sent home because his hair folical test didn't pass. The marines sent him home until he could pass the test. He is again living with the girlfriends family but my son is back to paying support again. Our grandson will sart a full time job on Monday. We live in ny and our son is supposed to pay until the grandson is 21 he will be 20 in May. If he is not living at home with the mother,why should she get the support?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

Child support can be modified by the court based upon a change in circumstances affecting the best interests of the child. The child not residing with the parent is such a change of circumstances.

Your son can consider filing for a modification to his child support to pay his son directly.
Ellen and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you