How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 42815
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there a way to stop your tax refund from being intercepted

Customer Question

Is there a way to stop your tax refund from being intercepted for child support if they are already garnishing your wages?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your question. If you have pending arrears they can intercept by law here. They don't always get you on their list so it may be hit or miss. But as far as authority they can do so here.if you owe more than $500 in arrears.

The federal government has mandated that all state support agencies are involved in this program. But they aren't always real good at getting everybody so wait and see here if they miss you.

If this is joint return then your spouse has rights here to get her part of the return back as an innocent spouse. I can't tell you otherwise here, they can take your return here. Again I'm sorry for the bad news..