How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AlexiaEsq. Your Own Question
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13564
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in Family law matters.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AlexiaEsq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In Michigan, can a child petition the court at age 16 to request

This answer was rated:

In Michigan, can a child petition the court at age 16 to request a change in parenting time?


Thank you for your question and I look forward to assisting you. That being said...

Generally, it must be be the parent who requests that his parenting time change. This is because the parent is the one who will have to take up more custody responsibilities, so a child can not make that change for the parent, OR a parent must release his rights to parenting time. However, a child at 16 can very much provide his opinion to the court in support of a parent's request for more and it will be seriously considered by a judge, in most circumstance, and at times dispositive, given the age of this child.

Hope this helps to clarify.

I believe I have answered your question and I hope you a better understanding of your legal issue as a result. As you know, I am only the messenger and can not create favorable law if it doesn't exist, so please don't hold it against me if the legal result is not what you wish. If your question was in fact answered appropriately please click the GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, in order that it be recognized as such and I receive credit for my work from the company. This will not cost you anything, if you already deposited to the company for this service. Your promptness is greatly appreciated. In addition, Positive "FEEDBACK" and BONUSES are also appreciated. If you need additional related follow up on this particular question afterwards, don't hesitate to Reply and I'm happy to help you. And if you would like my assistance in the future, just put my name, STEPHANIE JOY, in your title or first sentence of post. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you describe it fully. Also, due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break, or if it is late at night, I may have to go get some shut eye til morning, but rest assured, I'll be back for you. Thanks!


Stephanie Joy

My Standard and Required Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me here is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice and you agree that the nominal price you may pay for information here clearly does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. You must hire an attorney in your state as a matter of law, in order to receive legal advise and attorney/client relationship and rights. I do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided or whose law would apply, if any. My licensing credentials are noted in my profile, which you have full access to. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you and have a great day.

AlexiaEsq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
I just saw the second part of your post, it just came through. The solution is that YOU can make the motion/petition for a change in visitation schedule. If there are good reasons (i.e. he deprives her of her sports curriculum, etc., which is against her interests, and other such factors), you may be able to get it adjusted with the child's input. The reasons are the important thing - if she doesn't want to spend so much time with him because he enforces curfews and reasonable bedtime, she will not be taken very credibly or as being of a reasonably mature mind to have an opinion in her best interest. But if it is for some good reasons, it is more apt to work - you mom, can make the motion. But be mindful of your legal duty to foster a loving relationship between daughter and father and make sure you do not appear to be fostering parental alienation, which can totally backfire on you both.