Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

my son is 16 years old and has a passport. I am his mother

my son is 16 years old and has a passport. I am his mother and he is going on a cruise to the to Jamiaca, and mexico with me. His father has never been in the picture. Does he need a authorization letter to go out of the country with me? If so, what to do when you do not know where the father is?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
Is the father's name on the birth certificate, are there any existing parenting orders in place?

_______________________________________________

Please Note: My answer or reply is also limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

His father is listed on the birth certificate and we were never married.

no court orders

Then you have a problem, since his name is XXXXX XXXXX the birth certificate you will be required to get his authorization. Given that he is whereabouts unknown you will need to file for sole custody of your child to get a court order showing that you alone have sole legal rights to make decisions on your child's behalf. Since he is whereabouts known, you will need to "serve him" through the newspaper. This may take some time.

Information regarding the same here.

You may wish to contact the following for possible exceptions (which I don's see but to verify):

The Bureau of Overseas Citizens Services (OCS) at the United States Department of State (DOS) works with a wide range of domestic and international organizations to assist American citizen families in the U.S. and abroad. They are fully committed to protecting the welfare and interests of children and their parents.

Within OCS, the Office of Children's Issues (OCI) is responsible for coordinating policies and providing information about inter-country adoption and international parental child abduction, among others.

The Office of Children's Issues can be reached by phone or mail at:

Phone: 1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-736-9090
Department of State
Office of Children's IssuesXXXXXNW, SA-29
Washington, D.C. 20520

Office hours are Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET.

Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
He already has a passport. And he still needs one even though he is 16.
A consent to travel is different from the passport requirements. Most oversea travels require the consent of the other parent for you to travel with the child to another country or overseas, this is to prevent international kidnappings.