How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I endured 14 years of physical/mental abuse from my husband

Resolved Question:

I endured 14 years of physical/mental abuse from my husband and eventully left for good with just the clothes on my back. He kept everything we owned. 20 years later I am ready to sue him for money that I put into my marriage. Do I have rights?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.
What state did you reside with your husband? Did you get divorced or enter into a property settlement agreement?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We lived in Los Lunas New Mexico.We did get a divorced but I returned to the home and lived with him for 5 years.I contributed to the living expenses and made payments on the home.
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

Unfortunately you cannot now bring an action for property rights stemming from the marriage. Regardless of having lived together after the divorce, your divorce settled y our marital property rights.

So sorry.
Ellen and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions