How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 39043
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband was married to his ex-wife after their 1st child

Resolved Question:

My husband was married to his ex-wife after their 1st child was born. There were subsequently 2 children born during the marriage. Now it seems the 1st child and in all probability, the 3rd child are not his, although he was never led to believe otherwise, after their divorce, he paid child support for over 10 years on these children, can he petition for DNA testing and file for reimbursement of all the child support payments he made?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

Because there was a divorce and that judgment apparently found husband liable for the children's support, there is no way to attempt to hold the children's mother or the natural father liable, because the dissolution judgment is "res judicata," i.e., a final and complete expression of the law of the case.


A judgment may sometimes be set aside on grounds of mistake or fraud, but it would be very difficult to accomplish on your stated facts, because family courts lean HEAVILY in favor of minor children and they will bend over backwards to avoid creating opportunities for disgruntled parents to rehash a child support action.


Also, different State jurisdictions have very different rules about challenging paternity. In some jurisdictions, after a certain number of years, no challenge is possible under any conditions. So, a lot depends on where the divorce was obtained.


If you really want to try to set aside the divorce judgment as applies to the children, you will need a very competent family law attorney in your locale. It could be quite expensive.



Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "Accept", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you