How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jack R. Your Own Question
Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6147
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Jack R. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how can a mother sign her custody rights to her mother without

Resolved Question:

how can a mother sign her custody rights to her mother without informing the father first. Is it legal to do this
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Jack R. replied 8 years ago.
A mother cannot simply transfer her custodial rights to another. A judge will hold a hearing and the father must be notified as to the pending custody change. A judge would like stop any hearing where the father is not present and has not been served notice of the pending change.

Grandparents rights are limited in many States. If the father objects, and wants sole custody unless a court determines he is unfit, will probably be first in line to get the child.

Your better approach is to get the father to agree, or at least not challenge custody.

If this answer was helpful please press ACCEPT so I may be paid.

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.
Jack R. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What can be done about the previous question