How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 38910
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a ex family friend that has been a part of a childs and

Resolved Question:

Can a ex family friend that has been a part of a childs and his mothers life for the past 7 years in any way take this child from his mother? The mother is in the army, has never been in any trouble with the law, never done drugs, never abused the child in any way. These people are mad because they arent allowed to see the child because the man threatened the childs uncle.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

The only way that this could ever happen would be if the man could prove that the child viewed the man as parent, and simultaneously prove that the mother was actually harming (abusing) the child. Even then, the court could decide to place the child in foster care, rather than with the man.


Visitation is a possibility, but again, the man would have to show a significant parent-child relationship, and it would still be an uphill battle.


Based on the way you describe the facts, I'd say the man's chances are effectively zero. But, no promises.



Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "Accept", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions