Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I am divorced and have primary residential custody of my young

Customer Question
daughter. In my divorce...
I am divorced and have primary residential custody of my young daughter. In my divorce papers it does not specifically state who claims her on taxes. I would like to know if that person is me?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/1/2009
Family Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Roger, Attorney

In order to claim the child, he/she must live with you for more than half the year. More than half a year means, at minimum, six months and one day. If you share custody, you may want to keep a log of where the child spends the night in your calendar or day planner.

If two or more taxpayers claim a dependent as a qualifying child in the same year, the IRS will use the following tie-breaker tests to determine which taxpayer is eligible to claim the dependent. The tie-breaker tests are listed in order of priority.

The child will be the qualifying child of:

• the parent,
  • the parent with whom the child lived for the longest time during the year,
  • if the time was equal, the parent with the highest adjusted gross income,
  • if no taxpayer is the child's parent, the taxpayer with the highest adjusted gross income.
Roger, Attorney
I have her 4 days a week and he has her 3 days.
That should qualify you as the one that claim the child.
Roger, Attorney