How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the father of a 12 year old daughter that I am paying

This answer was rated:

I am the father of a 12 year old daughter that I am paying child support. Initially, I went to the child support offices and placed support on myself. I am now $8,000 in arrear with this now. I do pay on this every other month. However, I have consistently taken care of my daughter regardless of this. The mother did not want support from me because I have always taken care of my daughter. However, the mother does receives assistance from the state e.g. Medicaid and Food Stamps. I have recently spoken to the mother and we decided that we wanted to stop the child support and just let me do what I have always done. She called and spoke to her case worker and was told that because she has other children that she will not be able to drop the child support case on me. If she did drop the case on me then she would have to drop the case on the other children even though I am not their father. Is this correct in the state of Mississippi? And how can I go about getting this case dropped.

The information that you received does not appear correct. However, since your ex is receiving state assistance, the decision to stop child support is not hers. As long as she is receiving any state aid, the state has the right to require child support. The solution would be for you and you ex to agree to a change in custody. If you have custody, there would be no new support payable. Your child could continue to spend time at her mothers home at your and the mother's discretion.

Good luck.
Ellen and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions