How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex and I have been divorced for over 11 years. We both live

Resolved Question:

My ex and I have been divorced for over 11 years. We both live in the same state, but I have a job offer in another state and would like to take it. My ex has physical custody while we share joint. Our 15 year old son has expressed that he wants to move with me if I go. He is very excited and has tried to talk about this situation with his mother. She says its in his best interest to remain where he is, but won't give him a reason why when he asks. I have tried to have an open talk with my ex regarding our son and she says she has nothing to talk about and that the subject is closed. My question is this, does my 15 year old son have a voice in this matter? Because of my ex's refusal to discuss this as adults, I'm thinking of getting my lawyer involved.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
A child has the opportunity to state a preference to the court, but has no "power" to decide the outcome of his case. Only the parents or the judge can make that decision. An existing custody order is subject to modification when there is a change in circumstances with regards XXXXX XXXXX current parenting plan which is affecting the child's best interests. This means that the existing order will not be changed unless you can show why the current parenting arrangement is no longer working and why a change would be necessary for the child. Unfortunately a child's wish to be with the other parent absent some detriment to the current parenting arrangement is usually not enough to cause a change in the parenting order as the court will look at the total circumstances, including the child's preference as to whether the change is warranted.


Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you