How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33775
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband has a daughter with an ex girlfriend of his. He

This answer was rated:

My husband has a daughter with an ex girlfriend of his. He has never had a relationship with this daughter who is now 11 years old. His ex girlfriend has gotten married and wants her new husband to adopt this child. My husband and I live in NY and his ex lives in Idaho. My question is if my husband terminates his rights so this child can be adopted is he still obligated to pay support until the adoption is final or is he no longer responsible for support once his rights are terminated?
He is obligated to pay any support that has been ordered until the termination is complete. When the adoption occurs is not relevant. It is also important that he watch and make sure the termination is finished. Occasionally someone signs away their rights and thinks the obligation is complete, then finds out the termination order was never signed and so they owe child support for years.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR TEXAS ATTY” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
JD 1992 and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you