How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11814
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

divorced in alabama and at lawyers advice settle without going

Customer Question

divorced in alabama and at lawyers advice settle without going before judge. my issue is that what I have been ordered to pay in alimony and child support does not leave enough to pay bills that were established in the marriage. I argue that we lived above our means and that the order for alimony is forcing me to continue to support a lifestyle that is not real, not affordable and certainly not sustainable. I have considered hiring a different lawyer and asking the court to review. I just can't see that if you have debt (obligations) in place at the time of the divorce that a judge can force you to pay out more than you make. I have nearly exhausted any saved money attempting to keep this up but the bottom-line is I don't have enough saved to continue it for the 3 years ordered to pay alimony. what are my chances in Alabama of having this reduced based on pre-divorce debt. her attorney suggested I file bankruptcy, which seems wrong. can the court force you into to bankruptcy?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyKaren replied 8 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question.
When was this order made?