How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got a woman pregnant and she is keeping the baby knowing

Resolved Question:

I got a woman pregnant and she is keeping the baby knowing I am not going to be around. I need to know since I have no say in this matter what can I do in this legal matter.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer- I'm not sure what you mean by "not being around" but you certainly will have parental rights to your child. You can apply for legal custody and/or visitation and will have the right to participate in the child's life. If you do not live nearby you can arrange for long distance visitation such as a few weeks at a time.


You will also have the responsibilities of a parent meaning child support and the sharing of various expenses. After the baby is born you will need to file in the local court to establish your parental rights.


David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What I meant by not being around Is that I really didnt want her to have the child but she informed me she was keeping it even without me in the picture. She decided to do this on her own and now whenever she is angry at me she threatens me with child support and I need to know what to do.
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.

If she applies for child support and the baby is yours then you will be obligated to pay regardless of whether you are involved in the child's life. You will have, as I said above, all the rights of any parent as to visitation and/or custody if you choose to be involved.



Dave Kennett and 7 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions