How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41601
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I plan to tell my husband of 11 years of marraige (w/ 6-yr.

Resolved Question:

I plan to tell my husband of 11 years of marraige (w/ 6-yr. old twins) that I want to divorce him. However, financial matters make it necessary for us all to keep living under our jointly owned house for the next 6 -- 12 months.   I would like to "move on" with my personal life, however, I want to protect myself against any perceived wrong-doings on my part effective from the date I announce my intent of divorcing him. Do I need some type of a separation agreement as well as a co-habitation agreement. I live in N.J. How costly can I expect these initial documents to be?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your question. You would be wise her to be real careful dating here. Ther is no true way to protect yourself here while custody is at stake. You are still considered married here and adultery can be a potential problem. Unless you can agree to temporary orders here that would state that cohabitation is allowed then you are at risk.

The lawyer her can draft such agreed orders here in this matter. And you can agree to a separation date here even if you continue to live together. A lawyer really can do this as part of a divorce. It wouldn't be an added expense but part of the process here.

The costs of divorce are based on how much people agree and how much they fight. More agreement equals much less cost here. A lawyer from the out set can make all of this more smoother here and make sure you get the settlement and orders you want and deserve. I wish you good luck in moving on here..


Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

RayAnswers and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions