How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Family Law Answers Your Own Question
Family Law Answers
Family Law Answers, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1267
Experience:  more than 16 years experience as an attorney - current family law litigation + mediation practice
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Family Law Answers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my wife filed child custody and shild support againest me ,

Customer Question

my wife filed child custody and shild support againest me , and am in maryland and the court in new york where she lives , they sent me the court papers and i dont know wut i should do ? and i send her money by western union every week almost and i visited my baby almost 12 times in 3 and half month , my court date is the 10 of february 2009 , i need to knw please wut i should do ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Family Law Answers replied 8 years ago.

Hi and thanks for your question.


You are going to need to get an attorney in New York to represent you here. You can search for an attorney specializing in family law in the area in NY that you need.


You will want to file an answer or objection to the paperwork she filed if you do not agree to it, and you will need to go to court on the Feb 10 date unless you can get the date postponed. In order to try for this, you would need to file a motion to continue with the court, explaining the reasons why you believe the hearing should be postponed. You could also request that the court allow you to appear by telephone. You can call the clerk's office at the courthouse where your ex filed the paperwork and tell them that you want to appear by telephone and ask if they can send you the forms you need to request this.


In any event, you really should have a NY attorney representing and protecting your interests here.