RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

I AM CURRENTLY AN ACTIVE DUTY SOLDIER. MY SONS FATHER IS NOT

I AM CURRENTLY AN ACTIVE DUTY SOLDIER. MY SON'S FATHER IS NOT HELPING ME SUPPORT HIM I AM DOING IT ALL BY MYSELF. WHAT IS THE PROCESS TO GETTING HIM TO SIGN OVER HIS PARENTAL RIGHTS? I HAVE SOMEONE THAT WANTS TO ADOPT HIM SO TWO PEOPLE SUPPORTING HIM ISN'T AN ISSUE. THE ISSUE IS THAT HE MIGHT NOT WANT TO SIGN OVER CUSTODY IS IT HIS CHOICE IF HE IS NOT PROSUMED TO BE THE CHILDS FATHER I NEED SOME REAL HELP.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your question. you will need a court ordered test.Although honestly the dna test doesn't lie here. So if you eliminate the ex husband here then at least this will answer it in your mind. to terminate rights here you have to file a suit and a relinquishment of parental rights. You would need a lawyer here to prepare the necessary papers here for filing.

If you have another party that wants to adopt that can be accomplished at the same time of termination here. The State Bar of Texas has a lawyer referral program. You get 1/2 hour for $20 with a local lawyer. This would allow you to get an idea of fees and other issues and questions that you would have here.

If you have more questions here please feel free to ask here in case I missed anything..

http://www.texasbar.com/Content/NavigationMenu/Additional_Information_For_The_Public/Selecting_a_Lawyer/Lawyer_Referral_Information_Service/Lawyer_Referral_Information_Service.htm

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
so what if he says that he doesn't want to give up his rights and he wants to take my son what are the chances of that happening since in my state he isn't seen as the father and since no ones name is XXXXX XXXXX birth certificate but mine
I would tell you that his odds of getting the child are extremly low. He hasn't paid suport or otherwise tried to have any contact here. The child doesn't know him here, etc. I can't see that this would be in the child's best interests here.

You have provided for him and been a good parent. There would be no need to change that. I've been in family courts for 25 years and I can't see. A judge doing this. More likely you could file to terminate and he would be out here. That is more likely in the child's best interests. I wish you good luck in this matter and I think the court will treat you well here..