How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask tina11 Your Own Question
tina11, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 15
Experience:  Solo attorney, former judicial law clerk in family court, handles various divorce matters.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
tina11 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I know if I qualify for my ex-husbands social secu

This answer was rated:

How do I know if I qualify for my ex-husband's social security?
Hi. You can go to the following website which states alot of information about whether you can qualify for your ex-husband's social security.

The following website is a government site which is all about Social Security for Women

The following information about obtaining an ex-husband's social is also listed on the following site which is an official government site.

"If you have never asked Social Security about receiving benefits based on your ex-husband’s work, you should do so. Many women get a higher benefit based on their ex-husband’s work, especially if he is deceased. When you apply, you will need to give his Social Security number. If you do not know his number, you will need to provide his date and place of birth and his parents’ names.

The following requirements also apply to your divorced husband if his eligibility for benefits is based on your work.

If your ex-husband is living—

If you are divorced, you can receive benefits based on your ex-husband’s work if—

  • Your marriage lasted 10 years or longer;
  • You are unmarried;
  • You are age 62 or older;
  • The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefits you would receive on your husband’s work; and
  • Your ex-husband is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits.

If he has not applied for benefits, but can qualify for them and is age 62 or older, you can receive benefits on his work if you have been divorced from him for at least two years.

If your ex-husband is deceased, you can receive benefits—

  • At age 60, or age 50 if you are disabled, if your marriage lasted at least 10 years, and you are not entitled to a higher benefit on your own record.
  • At any age if you are caring for his child who also is your natural or legally adopted child and younger than 16 or disabled and entitled to benefits. Your benefits will continue until the child reaches age 16 or is no longer disabled. You can receive this benefit even though you were not married to your ex-husband for 10 years."


You should also not hesitate to go to the Social Security Online official website for Social Security to find out more information. That site can be found at

Those site should allow you to answer your question very easily.
Best of luck.
Please accept my answer so that I can be paid for my time. Regards, Tina

If this information has been
tina11 and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions