Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

What is the legal age for a sibling to watch their severly

Customer Question
handicapped brother while they live...
What is the legal age for a sibling to watch their severly handicapped brother while they live in Florida?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/18/2009
Family Lawyer: Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer replied 9 years ago
Attorney & Mediator
Florida has no law which specifies an age where a child can stay home alone or in the supervision of another sibling. By law the parents remain legally responsible for their children's welfare so the law gives the parents the responsibility to decide whether their children are competent enough to be left home alone and able to handle any emergency situation. Any harm the child may get into will be the legal responsibility of the parent. This is why no specific age is set by law.

Below is how the Florida Eighth Judicial Circuit court has addressed this question.

At what age is it legal to leave a child home alone? There is no minimum age established by law. Whether a child can be left alone depends on a number of factors, including: the child's maturity; the safety of the environment they are in; how long they are left alone; whether or not they can get in touch with their parent or caregiver; and whether or not they know what to do in case of an emergency. Leaving a child alone can constitute neglect on the part of a parent or caregiver if the child could be in any danger of harm.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: My question is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer