How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 42880
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In the State of Hawaii, if I give up my parental rights do

Customer Question

In the State of Hawaii, if I give up my parental rights do I still pay child support?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your question. When you relinquish here the other parent has to file a termination petition with the court. The court and the other parent have to agree here and terminate your rights.

From that date forward you have no duty to support. If you have arrears here you should negotiate that they drop those and get it in writing as part of the agreement. You may want to have a lawyer review everything to make sure that you are protected in the matter. I hope that this answers your questions here..


Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

RayAnswers and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So the other parant has to agree to me giving up my rights? What if they just want money still?
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
Then you will have to pay here if the court orders it. this is usually negotiable . They may be willing to take a relinquishment and forgive the arrears here. You can try to see if they will agree. Make sure that you get an order here forgiving anything for your protection..
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What do you mean this is "negotiable"? Me Paying her?
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
If you relinquish you want her to give up or waive the back support. You want to make sure that this is part of the agreement and the judge signs off on it here. That way you wipe your slate clean and you're free of the debt..