Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

MY SON-IN-LAW HAS BEEN CHEATING ON MY DAUGHTER & NOW DAUGHTER

Customer Question
WANTS A DIVORCE. PROBLEM IS...
MY SON-IN-LAW HAS BEEN CHEATING ON MY DAUGHTER & NOW DAUGHTER WANTS A DIVORCE. PROBLEM IS HER HUSBAND HAS DISAPPEARED, WE BELIEVE, TO BRAZIL. SO THAT HE WON'T HAVE TO PAY CHILD SUPPORT. HOW CAN WE FIND OUT? HE ALSO LEFT HER WITH BACK TAXES THAT HAVE TO BE PAID, MORTGAGE , UTILITY BILLS, & CREDIT CARD DEBT SHE THOUGHT WERE ALL CURRENT! IS IT TRUE THAT IF FLED THE U.S. HE IS NOT LIABLE FOR ANY OF THESE BILLS NOR CHILD SUPPORT???????? THANKS
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/9/2009
Family Lawyer: Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer replied 9 years ago
Attorney & Mediator
Unfortunately there is no way to search if he fled the country, other than asking his friends and family to confirm. Maybe if she has access to his credit cards, she can see if he made a flight purchase out of state this way. She can search his belongings to see if he made any recent flight purchases. Only way for her to confirm this is to search his things or talk to his friends or family.

As to child support, Brazil is not part of the agreement with the U.S. to assist with child support enforcement, so unfortunately if she got a child support order from him, Brazil is not obligate to assist with enforcement. You can read more about this issue here. Only few countries work with the U.S. to enforce foreign support orders.

False, that he is not liable for any bills, the problem is that since he is not present, the creditors will be coming after her. But he is as equally responsible as she is to pay these bills and debts, but since you can't find him, the creditors will be coming after her.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: My question is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner[lawNinvest]. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer