How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jack R. Your Own Question
Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6147
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Jack R. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband wants a divorce he is in Saudi Arabia we were married

Resolved Question:

My husband wants a divorce he is in Saudi Arabia we were married in the USA can he file for divorce in Saudi?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Jack R. replied 8 years ago.

He can file for a divorce anywhere, the question is whether the divorce will be recognized in the US. A divorce decree issued in a foreign country generally is recognized in many states in the United States on the basis of cooperation between the courts provided both parties to the divorce received adequate notice, provided one of the parties was a legal resident in the foreign nation at the time of the divorce. Many state courts which have addressed the question of a foreign divorce where both parties participate in the divorce proceedings but neither obtains residence there have followed the view that such a divorce invalid. This prohibited divorces of convenience for avoiding taxes in the U.S.


The validity of the divorce will depend on whether the process in obtaining the divorce was in conformance to Saudi law and provided you with an opportunity to participate. If a divorce is given it validity may still be challenged if adequate documentation is not produced by your husband to substantiate the diveorce. If you husband proceeds you should require the paperwork and have an attorney review it to assure its validity.


If this answer was helpful please press ACCEPT so I may be paid.


Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Jack R. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you