How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Solutions Your Own Question
Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9934
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Daniel Solutions is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently paying maintenance to my ex and three children.

This answer was rated:

I am currently paying maintenance to my ex and three children. My eldest son is at university and receives a full grant. he is not dependeble on either parent for finacial support and will be shortley taking a year away from uni to go on two work placements found for him by the uni. Both these placements will pay him an additional £800-£1000 per month as well as his grant. My ex receives £260 per month for him of which he receives nothing. Would it be possible to give him the money directly or can I stop maintenance for him altogether. The order says I have to pay her maintenance till the children are of tertuory age, but if he is financially independent whats the money for?
You can not give the money to your son because the order requires payment to your ex. It may be possible to seek a termination of the funds to your ex for the son at univerisity but you will have to file in court to seek the termination and supply proof he is self sufficient. If you just stop paying you will be in violation of the court order.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
If I can supply proof he is self sufficient what are the chances?
No once can answer that question because its purely up to the court to determine if it believes your son is not in need of the support
Daniel Solutions and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you