Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

my granddaughter is 17 and doesnt live in the home with her

Customer Question
mother any more ,can...
my granddaughter is 17 and doesnt live in the home with her mother any more ,can she move out of the state legaly
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/1/2009
Family Lawyer: Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer replied 9 years ago
Attorney & Mediator
No she cannot, she would need the approval of her parents to move out of state unless the minor has a court order of emancipation. Even though minor does not live with her parents, they are still legally responsible for the minor and their consent is necessary to move out of state or else she can be reported as a runaway.

The person who keeps the child away from the parent can be charged for harboring a runaway and custodial intereference.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: My question is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer