How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dkennedy Your Own Question
dkennedy, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6009
Experience:  JD Degree, Social Service Experience, Child Support Officer
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
dkennedy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to send a letter to my judge exparte because my lawyer

This answer was rated:

I want to send a letter to my judge exparte' because my lawyer has not responded to my calls for weeks, and has not obtained a court date for over 6 months. It is regarding my ex being in contempt on many issues and back medical bills over 30K. I have no more money for new lawyers. (Spent 15k in last 2 years. is sending a letter exparte' a bad idea?

Hello momof3specialkids,


Sending a letter to the judge is a bad idea. His or her obligation will be to send copies of the letter to all concerned. That means that your spouse and his lawyer will get a copy of your letter telling, basically, that you are in a desparate situation. You don't want that.


1. Write a letter to your attorney and send it certified. You should not rely on phone calls. Give him or her 10 days to get a court date set, or whatever you are requesting.

Explain that you are going to file a complaint with the State Bar Association.


2. If you do not get results, immediately file a written complaint with the Bar Association.


You should be able to get a new attorney because in most cases, if he is found in contempt he will have to pay your attorney's fees anyway.


Good luck.

dkennedy and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you very much. I have held this letter for two weeks, and unsure if i should send it or not. I will email my lawyer tonight. Thanks again. Rachel

Related Family Law Questions