How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jack R. Your Own Question
Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6147
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Jack R. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am from Minnesota and my daughter came for Christmas and

Resolved Question:

I am from Minnesota and my daughter came for Christmas and she is 15 years of age and she lives in Washington State with her father. She does not want to go back. would that be kiddnapping if I did not send her back. Her father knows where I live and my phone number. Could he put me in jail. How could he hold me in contemp of court. How does that work.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Jack R. replied 8 years ago.

If you violate a court order he could hold you in contempt of court. He can not do so immediately. All 50 states will enforce each others custody orders. There is an intermediate step to get the state to accept another state's order but it will happen.


You could face some jail time if found in contempt. It is the court that would put you in jail. Kidnapping is a little strong since you have the child with the fathers permission. You must comply with the court's visitation order and send the child back. The only exception is if you know the child will be in danger or the subject of physical and emotional abuse. Then you must file for an emergency hearing.


If this answer was helpful please press ACCEPT so I may be paid.


Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Jack R. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you