How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in MA and have a Civil Union from CT and wish to have

Customer Question

I live in MA and have a Civil Union from CT and wish to have it dissolved CT says I must do this in the state I live in but I am being told that MA wants it done in CT and CT says no. So I am getting the run around on how to proceed with it and need advice. We have no children together and I am not looking for support. We are on friendly terms still living in the same house until we can get this settled. We are seperating because she wants to move back to IL to take care of her mother and I have a six year old son with ADHD she can not stand (is emotionally abusive to) & doesn't want to be a step parent to and I refuse to give him up and move to IL. I am disabled (confined to a wheelchair) and only get SSDI but agreed not to go after alimony because her income is military retirement and if she is outed after 23 years in the military she will loose her retirement pay. Which she deserves after 23 yrs of service. We both want this done as soon as possible so she can move home to IL.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.


Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

A civil union entered into in Connecticut is only recognized in Connecticut. It is confusing because a civil union entered into in MA is recognized in CT.

Since MA does not recognize the civil union established in CT, it cannot be dissolved in MA. The civil union must be dissolved in CT. However, in order to dissolve the civil union in CT, you or your partner must meet the residency requirements of CT.

The Connecticut residency requirements are as follows:


A decree dissolving a marriage or granting a legal separation may be entered if: (1) One of the parties to the marriage has been a resident of this state for at least the twelve months next preceding the date of the filing of the complaint or next preceding the date of the decree; or (2) one of the parties was domiciled in this state at the time of the marriage and returned to this state with the intention of permanently remaining before the filing of the complaint; or (3) the cause for the dissolution of the marriage arose after either party moved into this state.

For the purposes of this section, any person who has served or is serving with the armed forces, as defined by section 27-103, or the merchant marine, and who was a resident of this state at the time of his or her entry shall be deemed to have continuously resided in this state during the time he or she has served or is serving with the armed forces or merchant marine. The Dissolution of Marriage is typically filed with in county in which the filing spouse lives.

(Connecticut General Statutes - Title 46b - Chapter 44)

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a Happy New Year. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,

Please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for my work

Bonus and Positive Feedback gratefully accepted!


Related Family Law Questions