Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
4460311

I went to my bank and got a loan for a person to refinance

Customer Question

I went to my bank and got a loan for a person to refinance his truck this person was with me at the time. My banker knew this loan was not for me. The person stated at that time the loan would not be a problem for him to repay. This person did not make any payments therefore leaving them for me to pay this has ruined my credit as the payments have been late each time. I had to repo the truck, we barely made it home as this truck is in very bad shape and needs about 4500.00 worth of repairs. I took him to small claims and the judge has ordered a bench trial. This person has acquired an attorney, I guess I will need one to?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for contacting the JA team for guidance.

I am very sorry to hear about this situation. You obviously attempted to help this person and have suffered for it. You don't have to have an attorney in small claims court, and if you have solid evidence to prove your case, you should be fine. Small claims are specifically meant to reduce costs for the litigants where the amount of the claim is small.

However, if you have any doubts about the merits of your claim or the law on which you based your claims, it is highly advisable that you retain an attorney versed in contract law and civil litigation. If you do not know one, www.attorneylocate.com is a good place to begin. It should be relatively inexpensive since it sounds like a fairly simple case.

All the best to you in the coming new year and good luck with your case.