How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask rvlaw Your Own Question
rvlaw, Attorney-Therapist Mediator
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 8386
Experience:  Attorney-Therapist Mediator for CA Divorce Mediation Center; over 30 years private practice in NYC.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
rvlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been married for 23 years. Four adult children. No property

This answer was rated:

I have been married for 23 years. Four adult children. No property ownership, very little assets, 401 through hysbands job. I want to legally separate my finances from my husband. No divorce. Physical separation later. Is this possible? Thank you!

Hi and welcome to JA,


You can enter a written agreement about your assets now and what would happen in case of a divorce. Each would have to renounce rights in the other's property since if one died without a divorce, the suriving spouse would still have inheritance rights. You should also change beneficiaries on assets that would pass outside of a will or estate such as life insurance policies, bank accounts, etc. I would definitely have a family law attorney draw the agreement.



rvlaw and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you