How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JPEsq. Your Own Question
JPEsq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5106
Experience:  Published articles on family law, featured in several publications for successful trial work.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JPEsq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What countries can you get married in and it is recognized

Resolved Question:

What countries can you get married in and it is recognized as legal in the USA?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JPEsq. replied 8 years ago.

There are a myriad of international marriage requirements and procedures around the world. And while many are recognized by the United States, it is important to be sure that your marriage will be legally recognized both in the country of your marriage and the United States. Remember, in general, civil ceremonies are accepted as "marriage" in most foreign countries whereas a religious cermony-by itself- is generally not enough to meet the United States definition of marriage and meet international marriage requirements.


It might be easier if you tell me what country and type of ceremony and i will tell you whether it will be valid

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

We were considering one of the caribbean islands (Bahamas or Barbados),or perhaps Fiji, or would it be better to sitck with Hawaii ?

Expert:  JPEsq. replied 8 years ago.

None of those places should be a problem. A valid marriage certificate would be recognized.


resort destinations like these marry americans all the time, so figure out where you want to get married and they will set you up with all the paperwork you need to make it legal.


If you really want the nuts and bolts you can go to and search for your country and marriage

JPEsq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions