Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

What countries can you get married in and it is recognized

Customer Question
as legal in the USA?...
What countries can you get married in and it is recognized as legal in the USA?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/1/2009
Family Lawyer: JPEsq., Lawyer replied 9 years ago
JPEsq.
JPEsq., Lawyer

There are a myriad of international marriage requirements and procedures around the world. And while many are recognized by the United States, it is important to be sure that your marriage will be legally recognized both in the country of your marriage and the United States. Remember, in general, civil ceremonies are accepted as "marriage" in most foreign countries whereas a religious cermony-by itself- is generally not enough to meet the United States definition of marriage and meet international marriage requirements.

It might be easier if you tell me what country and type of ceremony and i will tell you whether it will be valid

We were considering one of the caribbean islands (Bahamas or Barbados),or perhaps Fiji, or would it be better to sitck with Hawaii ?

None of those places should be a problem. A valid marriage certificate would be recognized.

resort destinations like these marry americans all the time, so figure out where you want to get married and they will set you up with all the paperwork you need to make it legal.

If you really want the nuts and bolts you can go to http://travel.state.gov/search.php?query=citizens&sort=swishrank&start=585 and search for your country and marriage

JPEsq.
JPEsq., Lawyer
JPEsq.
JPEsq.
JPEsq., Lawyer