How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9340
Experience:  since 1983
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother in law has wants access to our childern for vists,

Resolved Question:

My mother in law has wants access to our childern for vists, there has been an ugly family breakdown, she has a prescription drug addiction, what rights does she have and should we be thinking about briefing a lawyer. This is one expense we dont need at the moment but will do if required.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 8 years ago.
In most states grandparents have no legally enforceable rights to visit a grandchild. Visitation is at the discretion of the parent who has custody.

It is normal for her to want to see her grandchildren, but it is at the discretion of the parents.

If you tell me what state this is in I can look for more specific information, but nothing the State does is likely to conflict with Troxel v Granville where the US Supreme Court limited grandparents rights, see

I hope this information is helpful.
N Cal Attorney and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you