How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What do I need to do to adopt an 18 year old homeless youth

This answer was rated:

What do I need to do to adopt an 18 year old homeless youth? How much will it cost?

An 18 year old is an adult. What is your purpose in adopting an adult?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I need a family and so does he. We'd both like to make it legal. I want to put him through college and on a mission for our church. We'd like to be a real family, not just roommates. We'd really like the legal paper that says we are parent and child, even though he doesn't need me to wipe his nose or raise him from childhood.


I am happy to assist you.

An adoption of an 18 year old is very straight forward and generally not very costly. It would terminate the biological parent's rights and make you the child's legal father.

The process, generally speaking, is to file a petition to terminate the biological f parental rights and to permit an adoption. The process is simpler if the biological father consents as well. However if consent is not possible, the court may waive the biological father's consent based upon the majority of the child (18).

Generally speaking, an adult adoption is a fairly streamlined process.

First you complete a petition and file it with the court. After you file the petition, the court may do a home study of your family, however this step may be waived by the court. Finally there will be a hearing to finalize the adoption.

The forms and procedures will need to be followed completely,

If you cannot retain an attorney then you can copy the forms at your local law library or buy the forms on line complete with instructions. I found a site with state specific forms that you can use. Here is the link for Rapid Law:

Best of luck with your family.

If you have any additional questions that you would like me to assist you with, you can start your question off with: This question is for FLANDNYLAWYER.

Please CLICK ACCEPT so I can receive credit - Bonus = job well done.


Ellen and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you