How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi my name is Kim & I live in St Louis, MO My ex husband quit

This answer was rated:

Hi my name is Kim & I live in St Louis, MO
My ex husband quit the jobs back in May of 2008 so I haven’t got any child support since then also still he doesn’t have a jobs
1)     How could I make him pay child support & if he can’t pay due to no job later on if he find the job can I ask back date child support?
2)     First divorce agreement made in IL so we took % of net income but when we moved in MO, order to file the child support through the state I had to put exact $ amount which I don’t know his exact payroll was so my questions is can I make him legally show his paycheck to me 1 time a year something like this so I can requested exact $ amount to the state.

Please give me detail information if possible.

Hello Kim,

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

Generally speaking, when someone violates the court orders they are considered to be in contempt of court. To enforce your rights you will need to file a motion for contempt (may also be called an motion to show cause). In that motion you indicate what the orders are and how he has violated them.

In your situation, you would tell the court that a child support order was issued and was not paid. The court would then typically issue a garnishment. As part of the contempt proceeding the judge can order your ex to provide his pay stub annually.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

If you would like any additional information, you can start your new question off with: This question is for FLANDNYLAWYER.

Please CLICK ACCEPT so I can receive credit - Bonus = job well done.

Ellen and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you