Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

What happens when someone paying child support quits a job

Customer Question

What happens when someone paying child support quits a job and possibly gets a partial or full retirment (individual is a police officer) and also, chooses to work for himself in a cash business to avoid paying child support??
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

Generally speaking, when someone violates the court orders they are considered to be in contempt of court. To enforce your rights you will need to file a motion for contempt (may also be called an motion to show cause). In that motion you indicate what the orders are and how he has violated them.

In your situation, you would tell the court that a child support order was issued and was not paid.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

If you would like any additional information, you can start your new question off with: This question is for FLANDNYLAWYER.

Please CLICK ACCEPT so I can receive credit - Bonus = job well done.

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE