The father is not quite correct. Texas has a grandparents rights law and under the Texas law a Judge may order visitation
with the grandchild if:
1. The parental rights of at least one parent have not been terminated;and
2. Visitation with your grandchild is in that grandchild's best interest; and
3. At least on the following is true;
1. Your child (a parent of your grandchild)
2. Has been incarcerated during the three month period prior to filing the petition;
Or Has been found to be incompetent; or Is dead; or
3. The parents of your grandchild are divorced or have been living apart for at least three months; or
4. Your grandchild has been abused or neglected by a parent; or
5. Your grandchild has been found by the court to be child in need or supervision;
6. Your child (a parent of your grandchild has had his or her parental rights to your grandchild terminated; or
7. Your grandchild has resided with you for at least six months during the last two years.
Thus, under Texas law, you do have the right to go to court and file a petition for grandparent visitation if you satisfy the above.
I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!
If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.
Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.
There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.