How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41569
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex has filled for college expenses for my oldest son. He

Customer Question

My ex has filled for college expenses for my oldest son. He was allowed to drop out of High School, but has obtained a GED. He is studying to be a mechanic. Can I be forced to pay for an adult who was allowed to drop out of HS? I have read that learning to be a mechanic does not constitute college. Is this true?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your question. It appears to me under Illinois law oyur obligation ends upon high school graduation or age 18 here. It depends here on age. If he is 18 and has a GED I think you argue that your obligation here is over. I think that the law would support such a finding here by the court. I would advise you to challenge here.

Support ends at age 18 unless the child is still in highschool then it would end at age 19.


Termination of support at 18; if child still in high school, support terminates at age 19 or graduation, whichever is first

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Illinois law gives judges the power to allocate for college expenses for children whose parents are divorced. Illinois law even allows the child to sue for these expenses.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
Then the court has discretion here. You could argue that this isn't college per se. I honestly think that if the judge has discretion that you may very well have liability here. The court bases all of this on the best interests of the child which isn't always in your best interests.

The court might very well cap your payments for set time here, say another year or reasonable time for him to finish up or your obligation ends. Consider negotiating here as a possibility if you think the court is going to allow. I would not tell you to spend money on a lawyer here as I think it comes down to dollars and what the court feels is your responsibility here or not..
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I asked two specific questions and neither of them has been answered.
The first reply that I received failed to even follow Illinois law.
I see from my credit card statement that the charge appears to have been ran through without my accpeting the answer.
I am less than impressed with this service.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
You were not charged. I'll opt out and let others assist..