How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118203
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our divorce was final in July but we are now selling the house.

Customer Question

Our divorce was final in July but we are now selling the house. He has lived in the house for 3 years and wouldn't sell till now. The house became rather run down. I am living with my Mom because of my low income. He inherited his father's substantial estate. He is forcing me to sign for a low sale price on the house. He is taking me back to court to get money he spent to fix up the house for sale. This fix up money was never agreed to in the settlement. I have no lawyer and have to borrow money to get another lawyer. Will he be able to win his extra money on his fix-up costs? Court is next week and I still haven't found a lawyer, can I represent myself? What are my changes?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
If he allowed the house to become run down during his time of possession when he refused to sell, then you have a good argument that he is not entitled to recover 1/2 of the money used for repairs and you would argue that had he kept the house up from the beginning he would not have incurred those costs now. As far as selling at the low price, you can seek an order from the court prohibiting the sale for that low price or forcing him to make up the difference to the market value for your share. Unfortunately, because of the depressed economic market right now, you will have to show that you had the ability to sell at the higher price and he refused to do so prior to this, thus causing you a loss. Also, if the price he is seeking to sell at is unreasonable, then you would also argue this also.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Will I be able to represent myself?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
You can represent yourself if you choose, but I find many people who do so are often disappointed with the outcome, especially when they go up against an attorney on the other side. Unfortunately, if you cannot find an attorney to assist you, then you will not have much of a choice. You should call the state bar and ask if they have any pro bono attorneys in your area who can assist you.