How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 42285
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I signed papers for a step parent adoption in Nov, of 2007

Resolved Question:

I signed papers for a step parent adoption in Nov, of 2007 the adoption was legalized Dec. 7 of 2007 and I was not notified that it had been made legal and to this day I am still paying child support and medical insurance on my daughter that my ex-wives husband adopted. Also in this matter the Iron County Court did not notify me and when I contacted them I repeatedly was told some story. How do I per-sue this matter. Oh and I currently reside in Minnesota.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your quesion. You weren't notified of the adoption becasue you probably sigend a waiiver of service which allows them to take it up without you here. You need to sk them what kind of proof they need here. You may be able to order the decree or termination/adoption here.

An alternative would be to contact the ex here for some kind of evidence. The ex could order an amended birth certificate or may have he decree, etc. You have good facts here , you just need to provide. The court may refund you money here as well. If worse comes to worse you may need lawyer here to interven and get this corrected here.

You will have to get this corrected and get them whatever is needed as evidence of the termination. It is also possible the court didn't grant it here, they have to decide it is in the best interest. Also it is possible that the ex here didn't pursue it either. Lots of possibilities..
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
You have not provided me with any info that pertains to my situation or that I did not already know. You also seem to have confused where here and there is.

Then why am I still paying child support that has nothing to do with a waiver? Why did the county clerk repeatedly lie to me about the ruling of this case. I checked back in July and I was told it never went to court yet and it has already been in court and ruled on in december of last year?
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
What did the clerk tell you as to the statuts of the termination/adoption. Are you sure here that your rights have been actually terminated. I am handicapped here by not knowing exactly what you signed here.

It is possible the court did not grant the termination or even that the ex changed their mind. This should be black and white. If your rights were temrinated you owe no future support from that date onward. I not terminated you still pay here and still have to provide insurance.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the county clerk sent me the papers to get the suport stoped. what I want to know is why did I get the run around for the past year it was hard enough giving up my daughter and then geting lied to about every thing and I did give up my rights dont get me wrong I would have loved to have been able to see my daughter but I feel the corts did not do their job after cort by notifying the state of ruleing
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the clerk told me the adoption was final december 7 2007 . I found this out in nov.2008
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the information. I cannot tell you why you haven't been notified here by the county. I understand and sympathize that you have had to give up your rights here. And I agree with you that somebody dropped the ball.

But you need to follow through and get this ended. Give them whatever proof is required here. Make sure you follow up here in writing asking for written response and verification for your records.

You may also be entitled to a refund for the period of time here that you paid after termination. It is basically a government foul up here. But you should receive correction here and hopefully refund.
RayAnswers and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you