How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41513
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a lawyer ask somone to sign over their partenal rights

Customer Question

Can a lawyer ask somone to sign over their partenal rights even if you have question as to whether or not the child is your?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Yes you would only be signing over rights if you have any. the court would decide this and also grant the termination here based on your relinquishment. Make sure that if you owe arrears here they agree to wipe them out with an order doing so.

Otherwise you may owe arrears even if your rights are terminated here. Tome it really makes it moot whether you are the father as you are agreeing to give up any potential rights you may have here

. It saves them having to put on evidence here and they can terminate based on your affidavit/waiver of relinquishment. The court woudl grant the termination here and you would be off the hook for future support here.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Why would a lawyer ask someone to sign over right even if you are not 99.9% sure if the child is yours?
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
Because they are going to assume you are the father. And they are going to have the court make such a finding and terminate rights here. And then the child can be adopted. You don't have to sign here unless you are in agreement..