How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 39026
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have a 21 year old daughter with a 2 yr old grand daughter

Customer Question

i have a 21 year old daughter with a 2 yr old grand daughter living w/her mother at present. my daughter is neglecting her mothering responsibilities. my grand daughter is recovering from her 4th staph infection. i believe my daughter is involved w/drugs. she sleeps until 1pm ,takes showers @ 4-6pm and gets ready for her day @ 9pm. my grand daughter usually does not get breakfast and is not supervised until my daughter gets up @ 1pm. if their is anyone else around they are expected to care for my grand daughter. my daughter is a high school dropout/9th grade,has been diagnosed bi-polar,will not take medication,look for a job,can't hold a job and disrupts everyones life she comes into contact with. my daughter is legally married but seperated . the father has had very little contact with his daughter and has not paid child support and presently living out of state .the grandparents seek temporary custody until my daughter gets her life in order. should CPS be involved in this matter?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

I can't tell you what you "should" do. However, assuming that everything stated is true, then an investigation by child protective services will likely cause the child to be removed to foster care, until a court hearing can be held to decide what to do about the child's welfare.


At that hearing, a grandparent or other interested family member could request custody of the child.



Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "Accept", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.