How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttySince1978 Your Own Question
AttySince1978, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 931
Experience:  Family Law for over 20 years, which included acting as settlement Judge in the Family Law Courts.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttySince1978 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a couple of questions about how to proceed with with

Resolved Question:

I have a couple of questions about how to proceed with with ending a marriage/domestic partnership. I was legally married in California on August 8, 2008. I understand that I will need to file for annulment or divorce. But, will I also need to file to end the domestic partnership (with the same person), that was recognized by the state in 1998? As I now reside in Oregon, where my California marriage is not recognized legally, am I now considered "single" for legal purposes or entering into another domestic partnership?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttySince1978 replied 8 years ago.
Oregon does not recognize California domestic partnerships. It is in the state of California where the partnership receives all the benefits.
Many counties ie. San Francisco, have legal forms that you can file that will terminate the domestic partnership. You should contact the San Francisco County Clerk's office and ask them to send you a termination form for you to complete and return. Since Oregon doesn't recognize California domestic partnerships than you are treated as single by them.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
With regard to the marriage and domestic partnership, do you know if the marriage certificate supercedes the domestic partnership? Or do I have to do the divorce and also do the termination of domestic partnership?
Expert:  AttySince1978 replied 8 years ago.
The marriage certificate always supersedes the domestic partnership.
You should dissolve the marriage and terminate the partnership.
You should take the necessary steps to legally end both named relationships.
AttySince1978 and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you