How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118225
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend has a severely mentally ill child (homicidal, suicidal,

Resolved Question:

My friend has a severely mentally ill child (homicidal, suicidal, schizophrenia). The child has both acted out and verbally stated explicit plans to murder his parents. Their insurance will not cover residential treatment. He has had 4 hospitalizations in 2 months. He is involved with the law. He just attempted suicide and attacked his dad with a broXXXXX XXXXXght bulb. The judge said he would see them in January. they sleep behind a locked door with their other child. His behavior is escalating. Can they refuse to bring him home from the hospital? What will happen then? They are in Illinois.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
They would need to apply to the court for an involuntary commission and can do so on an emergency basis under the Baker Act in FL. The parents need to call the police every time the child acts out and have them commit him to a facility under the Baker Act since he is a danger to himself and to others. They also need to contact Child Protection Services regarding the child because their complete refusal to take the child home from the hospital could trigger child neglect charges otherwise.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Does the Baker act apply in the State of Illinois?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
I am so sorry, I do not know where I got FL from. Illinois has a very similar law, 405 Ill. Comp. Stat. Sec. 5/1-119 ( and the state’s criteria for court-ordered treatment are based on an opinion from an adult that, because of mental illness, a person may inflict serious harm upon himself or another. Threatening behavior that suggests such harm meets the criteria. A person who is unable to take care of basic physical needs or guard himself from serious harm without help also may be committed.

Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you