Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

i would like a separation from my husband. we rent a house

Customer Question
from his mother, my name...
i would like a separation from my husband. we rent a house from his mother, my name is XXXXX XXXXX lease but i do not have a copy. he is saying i have to be the one to leave the home if i want to leave the marriage. do i have any legal rights to stay in the house, if so how do i go about getting him to move?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Family Law
12/1/2008
Family Lawyer: Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Attorney & Mediator
Neither one of you can force the other out of the home as each has rights as tenants in the lease agreement. The only exception would be if you have obtained a court ordered restraining order against your spouse to vacate the premises or the landlord has evicted one of you.

So he cannot legally force you out and you cannot legally force him out. This mother cannot legally force you out unless permitted under the lease terms (violations of the lease or failure to pay rent, as examples) and must then comply with the eviction process.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. . You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. The only way that I am legally responsible for your legal rights is if you have signed a written retainer agreement with my law firm. No part of this disclaimer can be reproduced without the consent of the owner. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer