How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask InformationForYou Your Own Question
InformationForYou, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1956
Experience:  18 years as a family law attorney, adjunct law professor
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
InformationForYou is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is 4 months away from being 18 and he decided that he

Resolved Question:

My son is 4 months away from being 18 and he decided that he wants to live with me. His father has custody and has been verbally abusive towards him and has hit him across his head and mentally destroys my son. His step-mother has also verbally abused him as well and won't buy him things that he needs and tells my son to call me because I don't pay child suport. He is now scared to go home after telling his father he wants to live here. His father will not get on the phone with me and has threatened me thru my son. My divorce papers read as follows; "Marital Settlement Agreement: the parties entered into a marital settlement agreement on January 10, 1994, with provisions for the division of thier prperty, payment of thier joint obligations and custody and support of the minor child"
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  InformationForYou replied 8 years ago.
What is your question that we can help you with?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My question is: is this I have joint custody as well? I think I do. The schools have told me that all I need is the Final Dissolution of Marriage stating that we are joint parents. What can I do to protect myself and my son from his father coming to get him or having me arrested for kidnapping. He is almost 18 now.
Expert:  InformationForYou replied 8 years ago.
Is it legal for your former husband to have the child returned to him?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
If my paperwork sais that we have joint custody and of our 17 year old son and he wants to live with me now and is scared to go back home after all this drama is it legal for me to keep him here with me being that he is 4 months away from 18. Can his father have me arrested for kidnapping? What can I do to protect us from his father if we have joint custody?
Expert:  InformationForYou replied 8 years ago.
I assume the father has physical custody and you have joint legal custody with him. If so, then the father can require that the court order be enforced and that the 17 year old return to his home unless or until that court order is modified.

Sorry the news isn't better.

Please hit accept to give me credit for responding.
InformationForYou and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you