Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

In Washington state, what is required for the court to order

a paternity test? I...
In Washington state, what is required for the court to order a paternity test? I am in a situation where a female on welfare has had a child, and the name she listed for the father matches mine. She has stated, however, that I am not the father & that the father was from out of town. I am, honestly, a little bit uncomfortable with just giving my DNA to the state to pile away in it's database somewhere. Perhaps that sounds silly to you, but I just don't think my DNA is their business. Does she actually have to identify me as the father, or can the state make me do it just because of my name?
12/1/2008
AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney

Dear vivsomnio,

Thank you for your question and I look forward to assisting you. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you describe it fully. Also, due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. Also, oftentimes there are future facts that are as yet undetermined in your matter, that can and must leave some areas of information provided by me broad in nature. However, don't hesitate to ask for clarification if needed! At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. That being said...

Your name alone should NOT compel an order that you are the father nor demand a DNA test - many many people share the same name, particularly if yours is a common name (google it and find out how many results come up that are NOT yours). This is especially so if she states that you are NOT the father. Now, if you did have relations with her such that you arguably could be the father, keep in mind that she may easily change her mind and say, "OK, he's the dad." You see the real father is supposed to be paying support for this child, both morally and legally, and because right now, the mom being on welfare, the taxpayers (you and me) are getting stuck with the bill because dad isn't digging deep into his wallet, so we must. Welfare law demands that the State go after the father to recoup the money it is chucking out for his child, that he should have been paying all along.

Keep in mind also that the DNA test can protect you from having to pay for 18-21 years for a child that is not yours. Honestly, if it were me, I would take the test if I was confident I wasn't the dad. I'd much rather have my DNA in the system then pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to the state for the next 20 years. Besides, anyone who wants your DNA can probably get it - via the trash, a cup you used, etc. We are a very transparent society given our tech of the day.

Plus, if it is your child, wouldn't you want to know?

Hope this helps!

------------------

I believe I have answered your question and I hope you a better understanding of your legal issue as a result. If so, please click the GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, in order that it be recognized as such and I receive credit for same from the company. Your promptness is greatly appreciated. In addition, Positive "FEEDBACK" and BONUSES are also appreciated. If you need additional related follow up on this particular question afterwards, don't hesitate to Reply. And if you would like my assistance in the future, just put my name, STEPHANIE JOY, in your title or first sentence of post. Thanks!

Sincerely,

Stephanie Joy

Please note: A times there can be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. In addition, if it is late at night, EST, and we are between postings, I may go get some shut eye, but I'll be back the next day, so never fear.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me here is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice and you agree that the nominal price you may pay for information here clearly does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. The only method of gaining an attorney/client relationship with me is via a retainer and fee agreement at my standard billable hour rate of $275.00, which is not offered via this site. I am providing only research, resources, opinion and information for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented with the understanding that you will do your proper due diligence and appropriate follow up if needed. I do not provide general or specific legal advice on this site. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided or state whose law would apply, if any. My licensing credentials are noted in my profile, which you have full access to. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and its associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you and have a great day.

AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney